Monday, February 16, 2009

Hypothermic Half a Success

There is a reason why its called the Hypothermic Half Marathon, the temperature was -15 at the 10:00am start and you need to bundle up to stay warm. It was a definite improvement over last years -38.

My game plan for this race was not a new personal best but rather work on different nutrition and running strategies. I wanted to complete the race with a negative split based on bpms so for the first half of the race, I set into a comfortable 160-165 bpm, on the return I would ramp it up to 170-175 bpm.

Kelly Drager planned out my race day nutrition consisting of a bagel, 2 hard boiled eggs, a glass of orange juice and a piece of fruit 1-1.5 hours before the race. During the race I was to stay hydrated and drink every 20minutes, taking a power gel one hour into the run. Based on Kelly's recommendations I was able to finish fast and feel strong during and at the end of the run. My completion time was 1:46:13 with a negative split of 50:13, I felt I could go faster but stayed within my 170 - 175 bpms.

My next race is the Calgary Police Half Marathon on April 26 2009, my goal is to increase my lactate threshold to increase my running speed at the same bpms to finish faster and stronger.

Gearing up before the start of the race, I was interviewed by CTV, the short spot aired yesterday which I will try to get a copy to include on the blog, but you can read the article on the website here CTV Coverage

No comments:

Post a Comment