Friday, June 5, 2009

For the first couple months of training, my energy levels have been low. Im not sure if this is due to the increased physical activity, or not being able to get enough sleep. Regardless of what it was I decided to put more emphasis on nutrition as I seemed to be run down after the longer training sessions. I set up an appointment with Kelly Drager (my nutritionist) to inquire about some vitamins and supplements specific for training that I recently read about in "Ironstruck... The Ironman Triathlon Journey". Jack vanDyk gave each member of the DRIVEN5 this book as inspiration and a basic guide into the world of Ironman, it is a great read. On my lengthly list for discussion with Kelly was, Coconut oil (many benefits, particularly weight loss, increased immunity and proper digestion -, anti oxidants, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Selenium, Pantothenic Acid (an energy producer, and used for cold water swims - and some Branch chain amino acids, L'carnatine for energy and recovery.

Based on my conversation with Kelly, she felt that between the vitamin's im taking (Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Multi Vitamin, Glucosamine, 5HTP, Omega 3-6-9) and my current diet, I am getting enough antioxidants and branch chain amino acids. What we did decide to try out was the Coconut oil for a month, and a recovery drink such as
Endurox or Accelorade.

It has been a couple months since my inquiries with Kelly and since purchasing the recovery drink, I have noticed increased energy levels and my recovery time has improved immensely. I favor the Endurox brand over Accelorade, as Accelorade doesn't seem to fully dissolve in the water bottle. I also prefer the tropical fruit taste of Endurox. The effects of the coconut oil are more difficult to directly attribute to increased energy levels. It is recommended to be used for a full month before noticing any of its effects.

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen the data on vitamin D improving athletic performance. Everyone should be looking into vitamin D. Take a look at www.vitaminD3world.com The site also offers a good newsletter and has recently launched a new micropill formulation of vitamin d

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that coconut oil is good for loosing weight. I've tried it before and it did work. few more months and I know I'll have my dream body. :) Been using this coconut oil from http://products.mercola.com/coconut-oil/ and really happy with it.

    ReplyDelete